Monday, July 29, 2013

Observations...Nathan

Since I have been home all summer with the kids, I have been pretty lucky to see, first-hand, some things about my boy. 

He will be 9 on the 16th.  How has that happened? Obviously, he is getting older, but he is still naive and innocent when it comes to certain things.  I am VERY thankful for that.  I don't know if it is because he doesn't really care much about what others do (which is a blessing at times and a curse at times) or if he just hasn't encountered it...YET.

We have "mom and son" time and we've been out to Wendy's for a frosty several times this summer.  Sometimes with the entire family and sometimes just the two of us.
  
During our last outing, I asked him about school and what the other kids were up to.  
"So, are boys chasing girls, or girls chasing boys?  Has kissing started or any weird conversations happening?"
He screwed up his face and said "Ew!  No!" (love that!)
I asked him "If it had, would you tell me about it?"  
His response was: "Of course!  I tell you everything Mum".  (this made me smile)
So, we continued eating our chocolate frosties and went home.  

"THE" conversation is coming, we just haven't had it yet.  I am not really looking forward to that conversation, but it is a NECESSARY conversation.  

***************

He is a GREAT big brother.  

Now, don't get me wrong, they both grate on each other at times, yell and scream at each other and they know how to push each other's buttons.
I have been burning the midnight oil this summer and staying up way later than I normally do.  So, I have been sleeping in past the usual time of 6:15.  They have both been up early and Nathan will get Sophie a bowl of cereal and keep her quiet by turning on cartoons for the both of them.  He is 5 years older and I worried about how close they would be and what their relationship would be like.  
Nathan has always played well with children younger and is very sensitive.  


He defers to her when they play together.  They dress up in all kinds of costumes and play Lego like nobody's business.  It is neat to hear their interactions and their conversations. They dance to music in the livingroom and giggle about things they have seen on tv.  He even reads books with her, but they are always HER books.  

It makes me smile when they play well together. But, it gets under my skin when they are yelling and screaming at each other (but I am sure that is normal with every stay-at-home-mom).

 ***************

He is sensitive and loving.

I know that the time will come that Nathan will not want to hold my hand, hug me or snuggle on the couch with me.  But I will take it for as long as he will give it.  (I love my boy)
We were out to dinner the other night and he came over to me and just put his arms around my waist and hugged me.  He stayed where he was and held on, instead of letting go.  I was totally fine standing there with him hugging me, even though it was HOT and HUMID out.
A thought skidded through my mind as we stood there: People are going to start looking at us funny when I grab for his hand or hug him.  He is almost as tall as me (I can rest my chin on the top of his head when we stand together, without slouching).  Scary though.  He has always been tall for his age. 
My boy still wants to sit with me and snuggle on the couch.  He likes to lay with Ben and I on our kingsize bed and read books at the end of the day. He will hold my hand through a parking lot, even though he is almost 9 years old, and will hug me for no reason. 
But, like I said earlier, I will take it.  
He is very "in-tune" with how we are feeling as a family or even individually.  If someone is having a bad day, he will give hugs.  When Sophie falls, he asks her if she is okay.  I hope he never loses that sensitivity.  

***************

Since he was little, I knew he was a smart and special little man.  He was in the Talented and Gifted (T.A.G.) Class this year for third grade and his teacher told me that he enjoyed having him in his class.  That is wonderful to hear about your child.

He took the CRCT this year for the first time and his scores EXCEEDED the standards of a third grader.  So smart!  He learns quickly and remembers things.  He has a love of learning like me, but the intelligence of his daddy.  A great blend of the both of us.  He loved having Mr.Van Deusen as a teacher this year.  It was a great match for his personality and Nathan's.  It was a GOOD year!

***************


He loves Legos and Star Wars. He'll watch cartoons and movies over and over with his sister.  He reads and re-reads books without getting sick of all the books he has in his library of books. He loves to help me in the kitchen with dinner preparation. He is smart, intuitive, genuine and a good kid.   He has always been a HAPPY kid with a big grin on his face.  He has a zest and excitement for life that is easy to get caught up in.  He still has that "wonder" that kids have with new things.  The "ah-ha" moments.  It is pretty neat to observe him from the sidelines and get a new perspective.  But he sure is growing up! I miss my "L'il Man" but love to watch him grow and find his place in life.  

He owns my heart.  He is my heart. . He's changing right before my eyes......makes me happy and sad all at the same time.  I am very proud of my boy.


Until Next Time,
SCRAP ON!
~Cyn~ 


P.S. This entry will be printed and put into his scrapbook for him to read.
I think it is important for your children to know how you feel about them and for them to see it in writing.

No comments: