Saturday, November 17, 2012

30 Days of Thankfulness: Day 17

Today, I am thankful that I had the entire day at home with the kids.  
We didn't go anywhere.
We didn't leave the house at all.  
We hung out.
We watched television.
We had breakfast.
We did some chores. 
It was productive.  It was great!

We also spent some time this morning going through stuffies (stuffed animals) and getting them ready for a donation to Mission Snuggle.  I was telling Nathan about the stuffies going to children who don't have any to cuddle after disasters, house fires, accidents, etc.  He was determined to find some that he could give to others.  It made me smile.

As a parent, I want Nathan and Sophie to learn compassion and not grow up "spoiled" and "entitled".  I have seen some of that already in their behaviour, at times, and I want to put a stop to it before it gets worse.  They need to learn that there is a world around them and that not everyone has a Nintendo DS or Wii or even stuffies to love.  So, this is the first of many "Compassion" lessons. 
I remember back when we were members of Harvest Church and Pastor Jim said "our actions are caught, not taught".  I hope that MY actions will indeed be "caught" when it comes to Nathan and Sophie and they have compassion for others.  I am hoping that this donation will affect Nathan.  He is old enough to understand.  Sophie, notsomuch, but eventually.  
This should be one step toward compassion, their first acts of service.  

Until Next Time,
SCRAP ON!
~Cyn~

No comments: