Sunday, November 11, 2012

30 Days of Thankfulness: Day 11

Today, in Canada, it is Remembrance Day.  
My Dad, for the last 22 years, was the Remembrance Day co-ordinator and Master of Ceremonies for the Remembrance Day service in the City of Guelph.  This is the first year he isn't doing it.  


The thing I remember most from the Remembrance Day service is when the trumpeter plays Reveille and every time, it brings tears to my eyes. The hair on my arms stands on end, each and every time I hear it.  It is beautiful, but haunting. 

Remembrance Day is for all of us to remember veterans and thank them for their service and the Freedom we have because of their hard work. 

So, today, I am thankful for the Veterans and even more thankful for our Freedom that they fought to provide for us.


Recently, Nathan was expected to memorize a poem to recite in his third grade class.  I helped him choose this poem to recite and we picked In Flanders Fields.  It was written by Colonel John McCrae, who was born in Guelph, Ontario.
We plan to visit the Birthplace of John McCrae when we go up to visit our families in Guelph and Fergus.  The cool thing is that in the Third Grade, I had to memorize this poem and I can STILL recite it after all these years!!!
This particular assignment in school helped me to share part of my childhood with him and teach him a little about the world around us.  It is kind of cool passing on knowledge of something that you believe in wholeheartedly and something that you have spent a lot of time on.  

The Remembrance Day Parade and Ceremony have been a long held tradition in my family. Between marching in the parade with the cadets, my parents marching in the parade carrying the colours (flags) and then Dad,
co-ordinating and being the master of ceremonies, all of us have taken part for more than 22 years.  A significant part of our lives, collectively.  


So, thank you Veterans for your ultimate sacrifice and for providing us with Freedom.  

Until Next Time,
SCRAP ON!
~Cyn~




  

No comments: