Thursday, September 4, 2008

THE CALL.....


Nathan was sent to the Vice Principal's office today! YEP! My little misfit. He threw toys on the floor, refused to pick them up and put them away. He had a full blown temper tantrum! While doing so, he ended up hitting the parapro and they called the VP....
Right now, I am sitting here telling Nathan that I am heading out to the pool for a swim and that he can not come. He is throwing another fit. Those are the consequences for being sent to the office!
You know, I remember it being SCARY to go to the office as a kid. It was PUNISHMENT. I went up to the school to find my child HAPPY......Can you believe this? HAPPY!!!! Not scared out of his wits, worried that Mum and Dad were called and what we will do to him when he gets home.
I remember what the consequences were if I was EVER sent to the office. I NEVER wanted that to happen. The anticipation of a serious spanking looming over my head like a bad mood for the rest of the day after my parents would get "THE CALL".
How come our children are not scared of this anymore? Why isn't MY CHILD not afraid of what will happen to him when he is bad at school? I follow through with everything I tell him I am going to do when I say I am going to do it! What else is there? Why can't the principals "scare" the students - yell a little, nice and loud, in a deep scary voice? I am not telling them to BEAT my child or verbally abuse them. I am talking about yelling at them to tell them that their behaviour is NOT ACCEPTABLE. That they are NOT to act like that in public school. Not belittle them! Just scare them with their BOOMING VOICE. I know that would work for me (even NOW as a 33 year old!). I understand that PARENTS are the ones that need to step up and be the adult and make sure that their kids do what is asked of them at school and it is the Parent's duty to make sure that they learn from their mistakes. BUT - A little help on the school level would help! I mean, COME ON!!! Going to the office is NOTHING....No wonder we have so many kids going to ISS and coming back again and again! ISS is a joke at some schools. Did you know that there was a young girl in one of my classes that was sent to ISS because her cell phone rang in the middle of class? She told me that when she was in ISS, she sat in a little desk like a cubicle and sent text messages ALL.DAY.LONG! The teacher covering ISS had NO CLUE! If I was the ISS teacher, I would make them all surrender their cell phones while they were there!
What has this world come to? People used to be able to give students the paddle if they were sent to the office! Why did they take that away???? OH YEAH - you can't touch the kids anymore. You can't tell them that they are doing something wrong! It damages their self esteem! Well, as far as I am concerned, I know that this is probably not the only time that I will be called to the Principal's office. In fact, from the moment I walked in and saw that he was OK - no tear-streaked face, I knew that sending him to the Office was POINTLESS.......
I am now off to "take care of business" from my end.
**rant over**

1 comment:

McKay Family said...

I hear ya sista!!! Why do you think I left education???? Oh yeah....I had Amelia. But this was and is a problem that got on my last nerve. Amelia better be scared lifeless to go the principal's office.