Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Happiness???

Well, during the drive home from Canada, Ben and I got talking about our trip and recapping our adventures. I have been mulling over the conversation for the past few days and have come to the realization that

WE ARE HAPPY!!!

Who knew? Right now, I am not the happiest person, but it is due to being a little under the weather and missing being in Canada (which is not really the norm around here - I love my home in Georgia, I love my life here too, but for some reason, I have been not feeling my "usual" self). Now, back to this topic because it really does hit home with me.


Remember when you were young and you pictured your life? Well, my visualization of my life when I was "all grown up" was just having a husband that loved me, a child that was a brat at times, but loved him anyway and living life together as a family. Being there for each other. Loving each other. I HAVE THAT!

On our way home from Canada on Saturday, we recapped the week's events and talked about who we went to see and what we perceived their lives to be like (since we only see them 2 to 3 times a year now).
Ben mentioned his friend "D", who is a major perfectionist and entrepreneur. He is separated from his wife - whom he was married to since 2001 (I think). He is now living with his new girlfriend and her 2 year old son. She is nice and her son is adorable. Before getting married, D told us that neither he nor his wife-to=be wanted children. So, all was good. He changed his mind. He wants kids now and she still didn't want them. So, they separated. Apparently, she also has a new beau. "D" is the kind of guy that goes a mile a minute and has no real "street sense". But he is a nice enough guy. He has an obsessive personality and also an addictive personality. I worry about him. But, he still seems like his life is missing something. Ben said that and I agree. I think "D" suffers from ADULT ADHD. I think that he is constantly trying to make himself happy and is constantly trying different things to do this. I think that he can't focus on one thing and finish it before starting a new thing. But, there is something missing.......


I mentioned my friend "K" and how I feel like she is really UNHAPPY. She is living with her boyfriend of 4 years (I think). They have talked about getting married for years but she still does not have a ring on her finger. I have always worried about her. She told me after the first guy she lived with (Calgary) that she would NEVER live with a guy unless there was a ring on her finger. Well, then she met Daniel and she got engaged, but they broke up. He was too young.....can I admit that I liked him the best???? Well, they lived together and she told me after that relationship - AGAIN - that she wouldn't live with a guy until she married him. But, now she lives with J. She has her doubts about him. She still wants to marry him. She doesn't trust him completely, but she wants to marry him. She seems UNHAPPY.....

Then there is "S". She is the friend that "one-ups" me EVERY.TIME. She had a child before she was ready because her DH wanted one. She doesn't resent her son, but man, you can see it from a mile away for her DH. He plays hockey and baseball. Several times a week and on weekend he plays in tournaments. That is what we do in CANADA!!!! Anyway, she feels guilty when she has to ask for a "S-DAY". She feels guilty about taking time away from her son. She says that she never gets time for herself and that her DH gets plenty. She is resentful and jealous of his time away from their son. She is UNHAPPY.......unhappiness comes out of her pores.......

What I am thankful for:
A husband who loves me and our son and loves our family the way he does.
A husband who recognizes that parenting is a partnership and pulls his weight.
A husband who recognizes that I need time to myself and doesn't question me when I say I want to go to a retreat or go out to Hobby Lobby to walk around for a bit.
A son who is normally a pretty good kid for the most part and is so loving it makes my heart melt!

I guess, I am all around happy about this life that we have made together. I am happy with the way the "dream" turned out in real life......
Sure, we have our days, just like everyone else and YES, we have had some really BAD moments, but all in all, we are VERY LUCKY to have what we do. I guess, this last trip to Canada really opened my eyes.



Ben, I love you! Nathan, I love you!

2 comments:

Lee said...

Love the photo of the two of you, very cute!

FlipFlop Mom said...

This was an awesome post!!! I too have that kind of hubby... and boy.. I wouldn't trade him for the world!! Just today he took 4 kids out of my home so I could clean... and get my home "back"... LOL LOL...